Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Realm of Possibilities

I work very part time at a computer lab twice a week. The cool thing about that is that when no one is here is that I am allowed to watch movies.  So while I am writing this post today, I am also watching a movie I have been dying to see.  I love this position, both the fun things I get to do here and the students that I serve.

My position isn't glamorous.   It pays a few cents above minimum wage.  The perks though make this job a lot of fun.  If I had tried to find a job in my field or the closest job to my house, I would never have taken this position.  It's not ideal financially.  However most days I would hardly call my work here, work.

It can not be a long term career plan but it bides my time while I wait to find the right position.

I've mentioned a few times that I am looking for work that provides a little better income.  In the course of discussing my situation with a variety of people from government employment agencies to friends and colleagues.  I found out about several different opportunities from business grants to courses I could take. I am following up on each one of them while applying to various jobs that look like they may fit.

I had a job interview in a total unrelated field, with a job title that's not exactly impressive.  I applied to the position on a whim because it was offering the salary and schedule flexibility I wanted.  I doubted it was a good match but I've not heard back from many of my applications so I figured what the hell?  I was pretty excited to learn in the course of the job interview that the woman whose hiring, does as a consultant what I would like to do, but don't know how to earn enough money to make a living doing it.

I've had two job interviews with her at this point, both of which went very well.  I am a bit over-qualified in so far as degrees required.  However the benefit for me would be, that in a few years, when this woman retires, I could much more easily start my own business doing similar sort of consulting work.  I would know exactly how to do it.  I can't imagine a better way to start my business.  So I am waiting to hear back from her.  I am not totally sure I will get the position.

The interview though got me motivated.  I literally applied to this great position on a whim with out knowing how well suited to the position I was or how much I could learn.  Everything has its advantages you just have to be flexible and willing to see it.  So if your busy job searching like me why not broaden your search and reach out to recruiters or consider starting that side business you've been wanting to start.  It may just pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment