Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Joys of Reading

I have been thoroughly enjoying reading lately.  My daughter is getting to an age where I can walk her to the park and let her play with others in the sandbox.  If other kids she likes are there I can easily read, seated at the end of the sandbox.  Its something new for me.  I get to take time simply to read for pleasure.  Its new because I am finally done with school.  I am finally done with having an infant needing every waking second of time, granted toddlers still need you every few minutes, but I have time just to read and soak up the wisdom other people have found.

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love this morning before I left home.  I have to say I loved this book.  I plan on keeping it.  I am also reading how I write by Janet Evanovich.  I love love love this book. In addition to writing on this blog, I am also writing my first novel.  All her advice on writing and publishing was excellent.  I was really surprised to read that her first three novels she considered crap.  She didn't sell them.  The audacity she must have and to keep writing, after writing three crappy books.  Well I am really glad she stuck to it.  I love her novels.

Now how do I manage to read vivaciously but fiscally responsibly? I have a lovely public library downtown in my city.  I find getting there and back challenging though.  The libraries closest to my home have a very poor English language selection.  I find it so challenging to get the books I wish to read. I simply buy books rather than rent.  It's not the very cheapest avenue.  I could take the metro to the library downtown.  I just find it much easier to buy them. I buy my books online (often the damaged versions) for pennies on the dollar.  I keep the books I love and give away the books to my friends and family that I think they will love.  I have a pile of presents right now....books I either read but won't read again or books that I could not get into.   I also trade books with friends.  Eat, Pray, Love was given by a friend of mine who hated it.  I don't know how you could hate this book.  I agree with her though and I won't read a book I dislike.  Its so much better to trade.

I find when buying books online you have to buy in bulk to make up for the shipping costs. So I generally buy 10-40 books at a time and pay around 50 dollars total including shipping for my collection.  Its well worth it to me.  I get many treasures this way.My latest order which has yet to arrive includes several gifts for friends and relatives..along with books I will probably pass on to them.  I think it works better for me.  Its still inexpensive.  I get months of enjoyment out of single shipments.  Secondly it allows me to be generous with my friends.

Do you use the public library system?  Do you have a good system for purchasing books inexpensively?

No comments:

Post a Comment