Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Spreading Love Around This Holiday Season: Donating time, goods, and love

My mother left my life when I was thirteen.  She was still alive but I got taken away from her and eventually put in US orphanages, she has since died.  I lived 4 hours away from her by car and that basically severed our relationship.  In a way, I am happy it worked out that way.  As much as I needed to be loved, I think I needed someone else's love at that point in my life.   I have had a lot of mothers in my life.....thanks to all my moves.  One thing that has been great about that is that I got to see how everyone was both wonderful and flawed.  I get to handpick from slew of 20 wonderful moms their best qualities and aspire to be like them on their good days.  Of course it's unrealistic to be the best qualities of wonderful women without their flaws, but its good to have a goal. Its also good to realise how different everyone is and how much we can all learn from each other.

My life is wonderful thanks to all my mothers, all my staff, all my teachers, and the volunteers who took in a little abused girl and helped me to believe in myself. Its amazing the impact they had on my life.  If I had never left home I would have turned out very differently.  If I had never met my first honerary mom, Ami, I may not have met the others because Ami was a turning point in my life.  Ami was an incredibly powerful force who helped me see who I could be, Ami was amazing, Ami is my hero.

There are countless ways to volunteer for others.  You can baby sit for a neighbor who is stressed and has last minute christmas shopping. You can go through your clothes and donate what you don't wear to a local childrens group home (which is in fact an orphanage), you can sign up for big brothers & big sisters and be a mentor next year, you can give stuff away without strings on craigslist, you can cook a casserole for someone who recently lost a friend or pet, you can show up at someone's door with a 50 dollar gift certificate to a local grocery store, you can adopt a family and buy them gifts, you can ask me if any of my foster siblings need help this year because well some of them still need some help, you can donate to any non-profit whose down and out this year. 

Its amazing how small acts of kindness at the right time can make someone life more manageable.  I challenge everyone who reads my blog to make one act of kindess without strings, they would not otherwise do this holiday season.  It might just change a life.  It might make you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment